47-31B-607. Public records--Confidentiality. (a) Presumption of public records. Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b), records obtained by the director or filed under this chapter, including a record contained in or filed with a registration statement, application, notice filing, or report, are public records and are available for public examination.
(b) Nonpublic records. The following records are not public records and are not available for public examination under subsection (a):
(1) A record obtained by the director in connection with an audit or inspection under § 47-31B-411(d) or an investigation under § 47-31B-602;
(2) A part of a record filed in connection with a registration statement under §§ 47-31B-301 and 47-31B-303 through 47-31B-305 or a record under § 47-31B-411(d) that contains trade secrets or confidential information if the person filing the registration statement or report has asserted a claim of confidentiality or privilege that is authorized by law;
(3) A record that is not required to be provided to the director or filed under this chapter and is provided to the director only on the condition that the record will not be subject to public examination or disclosure;
(4) A nonpublic record received from a person specified in § 47-31B-608(a); and
(5) Any social security number, residential address unless used as a business address, and residential telephone number unless used as a business telephone number, contained in a record that is filed; and
(6) A record obtained by the director through a designee of the director or that a rule or order under this chapter determines has been:
(A) Expunged from the director's records by the designee; or
(B) Determined to be nonpublic or nondisclosable by that designee if the director finds the determination to be in the public interest and for the protection of investors.
(c) Director discretion to disclose. If disclosure is for the purpose of a civil, administrative, or criminal investigation, action, or proceeding or to a person specified in § 47-31B-608(a), the director may disclose a record obtained in connection with an audit or inspection under § 47-31B-411(d) or a record obtained in connection with an investigation under § 47-31B-602.
Source: SL 2004, ch 278, § 45.
Get Chapter 47-31B