13-28-10. School residency of child residing in home other than residence of parents, guardian, or noncustodial parents--Petition to local school board--Appeal.

Except as otherwise provided in this section, if a school age child resides in a home other than the residence of the child's parents, guardian, or noncustodial parents, on a temporary or permanent basis, the school residency of the child is where the parents, noncustodial parents, or guardian reside unless, upon request of the person with whom the child is living, the board of the school district accepts the child as a resident of that school district.

If the board rejects the request, the person who made the request may, within fifteen days after receipt of the rejection, petition the board for a hearing. The decision of the board, after the hearing, may be appealed to the circuit court.

A school age child is a resident of the school district in which the child is placed by the Department of Corrections, the Department of Human Services, or the Department of Social Services.

Source: SL 1959, ch 70; SDC Supp 1960, § 15.3003; SL 1965, ch 52; SL 1975, ch 128, § 188; SL 1982, ch 143, § 3; SL 1993, ch 138, § 1; SL 1997, ch 96, § 1; SL 2022, ch 43, § 1.